Leadership is influence in the church. In other organizations, if all else fails, the leader can rely on his position to cow the people into submission. But in the church, leaders only have their influence to aid them. This is so because positional leadership doesn’t work much. If a leader doesn’t have influence, he will simply become ineffective. But how many church leaders and female ministers understand this thing call influence? Lack of leadership understanding is the cause of much crisis, breakaway and multifarious problems in the church today.
- Definition and Biblical Basis: II Sam. 5:1-2; Joshua 1:17; 3:7; Judges 2:7; John 21:2-3
Influence is the capacity to make people follow you without forcing them. Influence is when people follow you whole-heartedly without gimmick, threats, cunningness, craftiness and force. Real influence is being the person others will gladly and confidentially follow. (1 Kings 21:25) Female ministers and Pastors’ wives must especially build their influence. They can influence their husbands positively or negatively, – like the wife of Martin Luther, Mother-in-law of Yonggi Cho, Elizabeth Dabney and Mrs. Catherine Booth. Female ministers are crucial in every church because there are much women, girls, and families that need their ministrations.
Facts About Influence:
❖ Influence cannot be mandated, it must be earned.
❖ Without influence, people will not follow you
❖ When a leader has little influence, little can be accomplished – Numbers 13:26-33
❖ Influence doesn’t come automatically, it is a process.
❖ Your level of influence is not static – it is either progressing or regressing.
❖ People listen to an influential leader.
❖ You either build or bust your influence by your actions.
❖ When a leader has much influence, much can be achieved.
Durable church growth and health demands that the pastor/leader must have the greatest influence in the church.
Factors for Influence in Leadership:
When these factors are evident in the lives of leaders, they cannot but attract and influence people.
- Integrity- Integrity is the father, while trust is the mother. Both gave birth to influence.
- Character- People cannot rise above the limitations of their character. It is not made in crisis, but revealed there.
- Trust- If you cannot be trusted, you cannot be followed.
- Care- People don’t care how much you know until they know how
much you care.
- Vision- Your vision, purpose and direction will attract the right people.
- Nurture- Your interest in people and willingness to nurture them count so
- Generousity- If leaders err at all, it must be in the area of generousity.
- Personal Growth- You cannot lead further than you have gone yourself.
- Divine approval- The profit of divine approval must show in tangible
- Approachable- Humility, openness, transparency, relational skills and
personal warmness always draw people to leaders.
Limitation to Influence Building:
❖ Lack of improvement
❖ Inferiority complex
❖ Unforgiving spirit and revenge minded.
❖ Inability to accept and cope with others.
❖ Carnality and ungodly lifestyle
❖ Selfishness and tight-fistedness.
❖ Lack of integrity.
❖ Abusive and derogatory.
❖ Unappreciative of others
❖ Judgmental and condemning
❖ Incompetence and not growing.
How To Build Your Influence
- Lead yourself well- All leadership start from your life.
- Intensive prayers- God’s Spirit can enable and empower you.
- Embrace change- work at change and improving yourself.
- Invest in your leadership – Acquire relevant leadership skills. People must feel being well led.
- Proactive not reactive – Stop complaining and start acting.
- Consistent godly character- Your consistency will win people to you.
- Production – Produce results, resources, men and materials
- Stand for what is right – Do the right thing and do what is right
- Be a man of your word – Your actions and your word must agree together.
- Show real interest in people – People love those who love them.
Your influence as leader has less to do with your position or title than it does with the life you live. It’s not about position, but production. It’s not the education you have, but the empowerment you give that makes a difference to others.
BOOKS BY BOLA AKIN-JOHN
- Fruitful and Fulfilling Ministry Today
- Grow the Pastor Grow the Church
- Sexual Purity in Leadership
- Money, Ministers and Ministry Today
- 22 Dynamic Laws of Church Growth
- 25 Pillars of Church Health
- Personal Growth Today
- The Loyal Associate
- Guest Ministers Today
- 120 Strategic Ways to Increase Church Attendance
- Quality and Quantity Growth in Churches
- Strategic Church Planting Today
- Spiritual Warfare for Dynamic Church Growth
- Supernatural Power, Miracles, Signs and Wonders Today
- Church Change
- The Place of Anointing and Administration in Church Growth
- Pulpit Power for Church Growth
- Daily Nourishment for Leaders
- Healthy Leaders Healthy Churches
- Anointing Alone is Not Enough
- 101 Ministry Lessons
- Healthy Home
- Small Middle-Size and Mega Churches
- How to follow well
- Strategic Living
- True success in ministry
- Rise and Fall of Churches / Ministries
- Closing the Back Door
- 25 Indispensable Qualities of a Competent and Credible Minister
- Church Growth Principles of Jesus
- Your Church Your Community
- Your Growth is Your Future
- Frank Talk to Men
- The Cell Church
- Our Churches and His Church
- How to Support & Strengthen your Pastor
- 101 ways to progressively kill a church
- The Real Man in Every Church
- Matured Pastor’s Wife & Female Minister
- Pray and Grow
- Short Course on Family Growth
- Short Course on Church Growth
- Short Course on Wholesome Sexuality
- Short Course on Financial Growth
- Short Course on Personal Growth
- Fundamental Teaching & Doctrines of the Bible
- With Jesus in the School of Money
- Holy Spirit the True Vicar of Life and Ministry
- Five Fold Ministry
- Prophet & Prophetic Ministry Today
- Leading your Church to Lasting Growth
- Your Image is Your Growth
- Conflict and Crisis in Ministry
- Thy Kingdom Come
- DiscipleShift Today
- Healthy Local Church
- Congregational and Cell Church Today
- Heart of a Christian
- Overseer and Senior Pastor Hand book 1
- Abusive Pastor Abusive Churches
- Church Turn-Around Strategies
- Pastor and People’s Price For Church Growth
- Fatherhood and Sonship
- Healthy Woman Minister
- Women In Church Growth Resource
- Kingdom Stewardship
- Overcome At The Gate
- Healthy Pastor, Dangerous Pastor
- Sexually Wholesome Church
- Healthy Pastors, Dangerous Pastor
- Impact-Driven Church
- Clergy Coupes
- Apostolic Ministry
- Evangelist Ministry
- Pastoral Ministry
- Prophetic Ministry
- Teaching Ministry
- Your Church Can Grow in a Healthy Way
- Real Men Resource
- Strong Christian, Strong Christian
- Planting Disciples-Making Church
- Front and back Door of Your Church
- Discipleship Process Recourse
- True Biblical Church Growth is still Possible
- Daily Nourishment 2
- Reaching and Disciplining Children and Youth in today’s Church
- Eschatology and Kingdom Teaching Resource
- I Can’t Breathe